This study aimed to find out approximately how many children may be affected by CVI and what is the best way of identifying who might be at risk.
The study involved:
1. Recruiting mainstream primary schools in Gloucester, Southampton and North Somerset.
2. Collecting school based information on children, including ethnicity, known diagnoses and any additional needs.
3. Collecting teacher report data on a brief standard 25 item questionnaire about each child in their classes in years 1-6
4. Collecting parent report data on a 6-10 item survey about their child/ren in years 1-6
5. Conducting nested detailed assessments of approximately 10% of children in a ‘Looking Activities’ session on school premises (with parental consent), led by a specialist vision researcher
Feedback for schools
Following the analysis of all the data, we visited our participating schools with as much information as possible. We told the schools about particular children in their school who seemed to struggle with the vision tests in a way that suggests CVI.
We are writing a paper with the overall study results – which we will submit to a scientific journal for publication. We will post a link here when it is available!
CVI Scotland: http://cviscotland.org/